At Hermann Law Group, we understand the ordeal of filing or appealing a disability claim. From presenting well-documented medical evidence to offering persuasive legal theories, an experienced Bergenfield Social Security disability lawyer knows what it takes to increase your chances of receiving benefits. More importantly, we will be by your side throughout the entire process, aggressively defending your interests.
What Must I Prove to Be Eligible for Social Security Disability Benefits?
Just because you have a medical impairment does not necessarily mean that you are eligible to receive Social Security disability (SSD) benefits. To qualify for these benefits, you will need to establish the following:
- You cannot engage in any meaningful work;
- Your doctor has used approved tests to diagnose your medical condition;
- Your medical condition has persisted for at least a year, or you expect to die as a result of this condition;
- You have a medical condition that qualifies as a Compassionate Allowance or is on the List of Impairments; or
- You cannot engage in the work you are qualified to perform.
Evidence Needed When Applying for Social Security Disability
It is important to provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) with as much medical evidence as possible when filing a claim for SSD benefits. This evidence should outline how your condition was initially identified, forecast how your condition is expected to progress, and discuss any limitations posed by your condition. Before filing a claim, you should:
- Determine the date of your diagnosis;
- List your doctors’ names and how to contact them;
- Reflect on how your condition affects your daily life; and
- Identify your former employers, when you worked for them, and the duties you were tasked with performing.
Should You Appeal a Denied Social Security Claim?
While the SSA regularly denies valid benefit claims, you should not let this deter you. A Bergenfield Social Security disability lawyer can assist you in filing the necessary documents to initiate an appeal.
Since the SSA generally rejects applications due to technical mistakes, it is vital that you hire a seasoned attorney to review the specific reasons provided for your denial. A Bergenfield Social Security disability lawyer will evaluate your rejection letter, assess your supporting medical documents, and then submit a detailed appeal on your behalf.
Although it depends on your specific situation, we can provide help with the following:
- Compiling your medical records
- Evaluating your evidence
- Assessing your education and work credentials
- Contacting your doctors and other medical experts
- Determining whether your medical condition qualifies as a medical listing
- Developing persuasive legal arguments based on existing laws and regulations
- Completing any necessary paperwork
- Presenting your case before an administrative law judge (ALJ)
More importantly, our Bergenfield Social Security disability lawyer can provide the emotional support and guidance you will need to get through this trying time.
How to Make Sure You Hire the Right Attorney
When filing or appealing an SSD claim, it is vital that you hire an attorney that will be able to fulfill your needs. During your initial consultation with a Bergenfield Social Security disability lawyer, make sure to keep the following questions in mind:
- Does the attorney understand the law?
- Is the attorney respectful?
- Is the attorney attentive?
- Will I feel comfortable revealing sensitive information to the attorney?
- Can I see myself working with this attorney for a significant period of time?
You should also make sure to address the following issues before hiring the attorney:
- Are you admitted to practice law in New Jersey?
- Do you have any pending ethics complaints?
- How often do you deal with SSD claims in Bergenfield?
- Do you have a good understanding of my medical conditions?
- How often will you be available to meet or speak with me?
- Will you be the attorney at my hearing?
The process of applying for SSD benefits or filing an appeal is an extensive process. Accordingly, you need to make sure that you are comfortable with the attorney who is going to represent you. If you are feeling hesitant about hiring an attorney, make sure not to sign any paperwork. Instead, call a Bergenfield Social Security disability lawyer for a separate consultation.
Customized Legal Representation
At Hermann Law Group, we know how important it is to provide clients with individualized legal representation that is tailored to your specific needs. That is why our attorneys spend a significant amount of time reviewing the facts of your case and developing a close relationship with you.
Call a Bergenfield Social Security Disability Lawyer Today
Contact an experienced Bergenfield Social Security disability lawyer today at 888-511-4921. At Hermann Law Group, we work hard to provide our clients with the best possible representation.