Before you file a disability claim, it’s vital that your speak to an East Rutherford NJ Social Security disability lawyer. Often, submitting a successful disability claim is a complex task. You will need convincing evidence and solid legal arguments to satisfy the Social Security Administration. At Hermann Law Group, PLLC, our experienced lawyers will guide you through the complicated process. We will provide effective legal representation, as well as emotional support.
How to Qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits
Not every medical issue automatically qualifies for Social Security disability benefits. To qualify for your benefits, you must demonstrate the following:
- You cannot participate in substantial activity
- You were examined by a doctor and diagnosed with a serious medical issue
- Your medical issue will last for 12 months or more
- You fit one of Social Security’s medical lists of serious symptoms associated with a medical issue
- You are unable to work within your qualifications or training
Simply telling Social Security you cannot work is not enough to qualify for benefits. You must also support your claims with evidence. Evidence can include doctors’ statements and medical records. An East Rutherford NJ Social Security disability lawyer can help you obtain the details needed to show that your medical condition limits your ability to work.
How to Complete the Filing Process
To receive your disability benefits, you must file an application. On your application, you will need to provide extensive information to Social Security. This information includes your work experience, medical issue, medications, medical treatments, doctors, and daily activities. In order to better your odds of a successful application, you need to organize your information. Our lawyers will help you organize your information in the following ways:
- Determining the exact date your medical issue became disabling
- Assembling your medical information (such as names and addresses of your medical providers and doctors)
- Analyzing the ways your medical issues affect your ability to work
- Helping you list your work history (such as your past employers, job duties, and dates of employment)
Though this may seem like a lot of work, each piece of information is critical to obtaining a successful disability benefits claim. Fortunately, an East Rutherford NJ Social Security disability lawyer will help you gather all the necessary information. After you complete your application, Social Security will assess your claim. Sometimes, they will send a consulting doctor to examine your medical condition and then issue a report. Based on their findings, the Administration can either accept or deny your claim.
What If My Disability Benefits Claim is Denied?
If the Administration denies your claim, do not worry. Instead, you should consult an East Rutherford NJ Social Security disability lawyer. The fact of the matter is that Social Security denies around 30% to 40% of disability benefits applications. This even includes denying legitimate claims. With your Social Security disability lawyer you can file a Request for Hearing, as well as a Disability Appeal Report.
Though you can represent yourself in your appeal, it is not typically advised to do so. Social Security disability hearings can be extremely technical and complex. During your appeal, you may have to do the following:
- Obtain copies of your medical records
- Complete a transferable skills analysis
- Evaluate your entire Social Security file and other supporting medical evidence
- Refer to doctors and other medical experts
- Develop compelling legal arguments that address Social Security regulations and laws
- Determine if you equal a medical listing
- Craft written arguments
- Complete paperwork and legal forms
- Provide testimony to an administrative judge
Your East Rutherford NJ Social Security disability lawyer will help you through the appeal process, draft your claim, and represent you in your hearing. An experienced lawyer can also help determine if you are entitled to an On the Record decision, which will avoid the appeal hearing outright.
How to Pick the Right Disability Benefits Lawyer for You
Choosing the right disability benefits lawyer for your situation is crucial to the success of your claim. When meeting with an East Rutherford NJ Social Security disability lawyer, consider the following:
- Does this particular lawyer seem knowledgeable?
- Am I being treated with respect and being listened to?
- Can I spend at least a year working with this person?
In addition to that, you should also ask your lawyer the following questions:
- Are you a licensed attorney?
- How often do you deal with Social Security disability claims in East Rutherford?
- Are you knowledgeable with my particular medical issue?
- How often will I speak to you before my hearing?
- Will you personally attend my hearing?
Never sign a fee agreement with an attorney if you’re not completely comfortable with their representation. Contact Hermann Law Group, PLLC for a second opinion.
Contact an East Rutherford NJ Social Security Disability Lawyer
To speak to a seasoned East Rutherford NJ Social Security disability lawyer at Hermann Law Group, PLLC, give us a call today.