Cresskill NJ Social Security disability lawyerIf you’re considering seeking Social Security disability benefits, it’s in your best interest to consult a Cresskill NJ Social Security disability lawyer. Applying for disability benefits can be an overwhelming process, especially when your health has taken a turn for the worse. At Herman Law Group, we work closely with clients to ensure that they understand their legal rights. We can help you navigate the claims and appeals process.

Overview of Social Security Benefits

The Social Security Administration provides two forms of disability-related benefits to qualifying individuals.

  • Social Security Disability (SSD) is only available for individuals who have worked a specific amount of time and has been paying social security taxes. Workers can receive these benefits before retirement if they’re disability has prevented them from being able to work for at least 12 months.
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is another disability benefit under the Social Security Administration. The Supplemental Income is a program that pays benefits to both children and adults who have limited income and resources.

Eligibility for Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income is dependent upon your circumstances. Income, employment history, and age are a few important factors that are taken into consideration.

Applying for Social Security Benefits

Did you know that a disability claim in the state of New Jersey has a 30% chance of getting approved by Social Security Administration? In fact, the average annual denial rate of all initial applications is approximately 70%. Although applying for Social Security disability benefits may seem fairly simple, it’s no easy task. The process can be frustrating. Therefore, you can expect your application for disability to receive an initial rejection. As a claimant, you should prepare to have to file at least one claim before receiving an award of benefits.

The process of applying for Social Security benefits can take anywhere from 30 days to three years depending on the complexity of your case. Typically, within six months after submitting an initial claim, you will receive a decision as to whether the SSA approved your application for disability benefits or not.

Filing a Disability Appeal

What if your initial application for disability was denied? The next step in the process is to submit a Request for Reconsideration. This asks the Social Security Administration to re-evaluate your disability claim. The Request for Reconsideration is the first step in the appeal process. You must file this 60 days after receiving your rejection letter. If you fail to do this by the deadline, you will have to file an initial claim again.

The criteria for a Request for Reconsideration is the same as submitting an initial claim. You must provide proof of a disability and how it limits you from being able to work. If you’ve received an additional diagnosis by a medical professional or your health condition has worsened it’s important to document these changes in the appeal.

Unfortunately, appeals can have a much higher denial rate. This is no surprise, since the evaluation process is the same at both levels. The only advantage is that a different medical examiner will be handling the case. Individuals who have received a denial for Social Security benefits at the Reconsideration level should immediately file a Request for Hearing. During this phase, a Social Security Administrative judge will hear your case and will decide whether you should be awarded disability benefits.

How Can a Cresskill NJ Social Security Disability Lawyer Help Me?

A Cresskill Social Security disability lawyer can significantly increase your chances of obtaining an approval for benefits. While individuals who apply without legal help can be approved for SSD, statistics show that the likelihood is low. Social Security Administration is more likely to approve an applicant who has legal representation.

Our skilled Cresskill NJ Social Security disability attorney can aid you from throughout the entire process. From filing the initial disability application to representing you during an administrative hearing, we can present your case in the most favorable light. We’ll also work to collect medical evidence and gather opinions from medical experts to show that your condition meets the criteria of an impairment according to Social Security disability standards.

Speak to a Cresskill NJ Social Security Disability Lawyer

It’s a good idea to hire a disability attorney as early as possible. Many applicants choose to navigate the initial stages alone; however, having a Cresskill NJ Social Security disability lawyer by your side can greatly improve your chances of success. Call Hermann Law Group today.