If you’re ready to file a disability claim, you should consult with a Riverside Social Security disability lawyer immediately. Convincing the Social Security Administration that you deserve benefits isn’t an easy task — you need compelling evidence and strong legal arguments. At Hermann Law Group, we guide our clients through their complicated Social Security disability claims — providing both aggressive legal representation and emotional support. Learn more about Riverside Social Security disability claims below.
Do I Qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits?
Not everyone with medical issues qualifies for Social Security disability benefits. You must show that:
- You aren’t engaging in substantial gainful activity,
- A doctor has diagnosed you with serious medical conditions,
- These medical conditions will last for at least 12 months,
- You meet one of Social Security’s medical listings (lists of serious symptoms that are associated with a medical condition), or
- You cannot perform work within your training and qualifications.
It’s not enough to simply tell Social Security that you cannot work. Instead, you must provide evidence, such as medical records and doctors’ statements, that details how your medical conditions limit your ability to work.
Filing for Social Security Disability Benefits
The first step towards receiving your Social Security disability benefits is filing an application. During the application process, you will provide Social Security with extensive information about your work experience, medical conditions, doctors, medications, and daily activities. Before you file for disability benefits, you should organize your information This might include:
- Identifying the date your conditions became disabling,
- Compiling the names and addresses of your doctors and other medical providers,
- Considering how your medical conditions impact your ability to work and perform daily activities, and
- Listing your past employers, dates of employment, and job duties.
While this might seem like a lot of work, this information will help the Social Security Administration evaluate your claim.
Once you complete your application and Disability Report, Social Security will review your claim. During its investigation, it might send you to a consulting doctor who will examine you and issue a report. Based on its review, the Administration will either grant or deny benefits.
What Should I Do if Social Security Denied my Disability Claim?
If your claim is denied, don’t give up. Instead, consult with a Riverside Social Security disability lawyer. Social Security denies 30-40% of the Social Security disability applications it receives — including many legitimate claims. If a Riverside Social Security disability lawyer agrees to take your case, he or she should help you file both a Request for Hearing and a DIsability Appeal Report. (You can also file these documents on your own.)
While you can represent yourself in an appeal, it’s typically not in your best interest. Most Social Security disability appeals are highly technical. Depending on the nature of your disability, you might have to:
- Order copies of your medical records,
- Analyze your Social Security file and other medical evidence,
- Perform a transferable skills analysis (assessing your education and work experience),
- Consult with your doctors and other experts,
- Craft legal arguments addressing Social Security law and regulations,
- Evaluate whether you meet or equal a medical listing,
- Draft written arguments,
- Complete forms and other paperwork, and
- Present testimony to an administrative law judge.
A Riverside Social Security disability lawyer should help you understand the appeal process, develop your claim, and guide you through your hearing. A skilled lawyer will also determine whether you qualify for an On the Record decision — avoiding an appeal hearing altogether.
How Do I Pick the Right Riverside Social Security Disability Lawyer?
Picking the right lawyer is an important part of your Social Security disability claim. When you meet with a Riverside Social Security disability lawyer, ask yourself:
- Am I comfortable discussing my medical conditions and personal information with him or her?
- Does the lawyer seem knowledgeable?
- Does he or she treat me with respect and listen to my concerns?
- Do I want to spend a year or more working with this person?
Additionally, you should ask the Social Security representative the following questions:
- Are you a licensed attorney?
- How frequently do you handle Social Security disability claims in Riverside?
- Are you familiar with my medical conditions?
- How frequently will I meet or speak with you before my hearing?
- Will you attend my hearing or transfer my file to someone else?
Social Security disability appeals can be a long and difficult process. If you’re uncomfortable with an attorney, you should never sign his or her fee agreement. Instead, contact Hermann Law Group for a second opinion.
Consult With a Riverside Social Security Disability Lawyer
Unlike some high volume Social Security firms, a Riverside Social Security disability lawyer from Hermann Law Group will treat you with respect. We value our clients — and work tirelessly on their behalf. If you have questions about a Riverside Social Security disability claim, contact us for a free consultation. And, you will never pay us an attorney’s fee unless you win your claim.